The Heritage Wind Community Grant Program is now accepting applications for its Spring 2021 grant cycle.
The program provided more than $20,000 last year to support local organizations working to build healthy communities, increase environmental sustainability, foster economic development, and promote education, including the following:
- Central Orleans Volunteer Ambulance (COVA)
- United Way of Orleans County
- Orleans County Cornell Cooperative Extension
- Supportive Care of Orleans
- Medina Central School District
- Barre Volunteer Fire Department
- Christ Community Kitchen
- ARC of Genesee/Orleans
- Oak Orchard Lighthouse Museum
- Orleans Community Health Foundation
- Barre Historical Committee
Grants are typically awarded in $250 to $4,000 increments, with priority given to proposals that demonstrate meaningful impacts to the greatest number of area residents. We will be accepting applications until April 25, 2021 on our website: https://www.heritagewindpower.com/grant.
The focus areas for the Heritage Wind Community Grant Program are as follows:
- Building Healthy Communities – Programs that support public health, good government, open communication, citizen resources, and/or enhance the quality of life in the community.
- Economic Development – Apex Clean Energy supports and encourages the entrepreneurial spirit. It is part of our mission to serve as a catalyst for economic opportunity and development within the communities where we operate.
- Environmental Sustainability – Programs that possess a strong link to environmental revitalization, sustainability, or education thereof, empower residents to be stewards of the environment, and/or encourage partnerships to address environmental concerns and sustainability.
- Promoting Education – Programs that support educational institutions, the advancement of science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM), and training programs for careers in the wind industry. This may include curriculum development, literacy, school readiness, and other initiatives that help students grow into young leaders. Vocational training institutions that help build a skilled workforce are also included and encouraged to apply.
Local organizations working in the Town of Barre or the broader Orleans County community are encouraged to apply.